FOR ELECTROACOUSTIC MUSIC
Article 1 – Name, field of activity
- The Association is named : the INTERNATIONAL CONFEDERATION OF ELECTROACOUSTIC MUSIC, hereafter designated by the initials I.C.E.M.
2) The field of activity of I.C.E.M. extends to all countries in the world that have National Federations affiliated to the I.C.E.M.
Article 2 – Registered Offices
The Registered offices of the Association are situated in France, at Bourges (department : Cher), the place where the Association was created.
Article 3 – Objectives
The objective of the Association is to promote at an international level the various aspects of electroacoustic music and notably:
- by encouraging : . production, creating and research
. distribution of compositions
. meetings of its professionals (composers, researchers, performers and teachers)
. dissemination and communication of knowledge and electroacoustic techniques
- by organising collaborations with national bodies, international organisations and various professional areas concerning the above-mentioned objectives.
The Association seeks to assure a rational and coherent development, at the highest level, of compositional methods and of electroacoustic techniques, both analogue and digital, and to guarantee their continued progress, so that electroacoustic music can affirm its particular individuality and fulfil its role as innovator in the domain of creation and diffusion as well as in the evolution of specific techniques, of more general knowledge, and of musical thought itself.
It will promote this aim by all means at its disposal, through the free movement of ideas and people, with respect for the equality of the rights of composers, and the right of free expression of their national culture.
Article 4 – Activities of the Association
The Association will organise, by itself or in collaboration with any other organisation, national or international, in France or abroad, activities that correspond to its objectives : study, analyses, artistic events, technical realisations, presentations, courses, conferences, colloquia, publications, editions of other types, documentation, competitions and exchanges.
Article 5 – Members
The Members of the Association are :
- National Federation Members
- The national Federation Members are the National Federations (N.F.) affiliated to the I.C.E.M
- The National Federations (N.F.) are admitted into the I.C.E.M. by a decision of the General Assembly on a recommendation of the Board of Directors, after it has examined the conformity of the statues of the candidate National Federation to the objectives, the ideas and the organisational principles of the I.C.E.M.
The application for admission must be made in writing and membership can only become effective at least one year from the date of application (except when a special decision is taken by the General Assembly).
- Only one National Federation may be admitted from each country.
- Each National Federation Member participates in the General assemblies and a Board of Directors of the I.C.E.M.
Each National Federation Member has a single vote.
Each National Federation Member is represented by one Delegate on the Board of Directors and may be represented at the General Assembly by two Delegates. The Delegate or Delegates of the National Federation Member must be members of the Board of directors of the National Federation Member
- Each National Federation Member must inform the Executive Committee
of the I.C.E.M., before each General Assembly and meeting of the Board
of Directors of the names and positions of its Delegates.
The first Delegate represents the N.F. Member of the Board of Directors and the General Assembly. This first Delegate must be a member of the Executive Committee of N.F. Member.
If the National Federation Member is able and wishes to send a second delegate, this person only participates in the General Assembly. In this case, the vote of the N.F. implies the agreement of both Delegates. In case the disagreement, the vote of the N.F. is void.
Every Member National Union has to, before every General assembly and Board of directors, make, about the Executive board of ICEM, names known and functions(offices) of his(her) Delegates.
- The President of every Member National Union takes actually vice-
president’s title of the ICEM.
2) Organizations / institutions
a) The Member Organizations / institutions are the Member Organizations / institutions members in the ICEM.
b) The Member Organizations / institutions are admitted in the ICEM by decision of the General assembly on proposition and after examination by the Board of directors of the assurance of the concordance of their objectives, programs and practices with the statutes, the ideas and the principles of organization of ICEM, as their skills and qualities recognized and active so nationally as internationally.
However these factors are strictly connected to the will of the Management of each of the Member Organizations / institutions. So, after every change of director of a Member Organization / institution, the Office will make demand in writing AR of the wish of continuity of membership of this one. In the case of the renewal of the interest indicated by the new Director. the Assembly however reserves the right to estimate the relations with this Member Organization / institution according to the article 7.3
The demand of membership must be made in writing and the membership can be actual only at least on one year after the date of the demand (except extraordinary decision of the Assembly).
c) Several Member Organizations / institutions can be admitted by country.
d) Every Member Organization / institution present to the General assembly and to the Board of directors has a single vote.
Every Member Organization / institution, participates in General assemblies and in the Boards of directors of the ICEM through a representative-delegate appointed by this one.
This representative-delegate must necessarily be Member of the Direction of the Member Organization / institution
e) Before every General assembly and Board of directors every Member Organization / institution has to send to the Executive board of the ICEM,
the name and function(office) of his(her) representative-delegate.
f) Only the present or represented Member Organizations / institutions are counted for the quorum.
3) The associated groupings
- the studios of creation, the structures of production, research, distribution, recording, publishing, public or private, the quality of which is recognized by the national level who wish to adhere to the ICEM for their participation in its actions of meeting of the professionals, in the circulation and the communication of the knowledge and the techniques and to be partner within this international movement can be admitted as associated members
b) They are admitted by decision of the General assembly on proposition and examination of the concordance of their objectives with those of ICEM by the Board of directors, as well as of their skills and recognized and active qualities pursued on a national scale.
c) Several associated groupings can be allowed by country
D) Every associated grouping can participate in the General assemblies of the ICEM through a delegated representative but cannot participate in the vote nor in the quorum.
E) It is wished that the persons who are members of an associated grouping become also member of the National Federation of their country. Indeed the associated groupings and their members cannot participate directly in the actions of diffusion, concerts of the ICEM and Rostrum
F) As a result of the rights and the limited obligations from which they benefit, the annual contribution of the associated groupings is fixed to the 1/3 of that of a National Federation or a Member Organization / institution
- Founding Members which are the 14 founders Membres: L. Goethals (Belgium), D . Keane, B. Truax (Canada), F. Barrière, P. Boeswillwald, Ch. Clozier, J.C. Risset (France), H.Davies ( G.B), Z. Pongracz (Hongrie), L.G. Bodin, S. Hanson (Sweden), J. Appleton, G. Bennett, M. Subotnick (USA).
They take part and vote at the General Assemblies and at the Boards of
Directors. Only the present or represented members of right are counted for the quota.
Besides, also participate in the General Assembly :
- Honorary Members
- These are people of value to the I.C.E.M., who have served the cause of international friendship and of the development as well as the dissemination of Electroacoustic music.
- The title of “Honorary Member” is conferred by the General Assembly on recommendation of the Board of Directors.
- Honorary Members may attend the General Assemblies and all other I.CE.M. activities; they do not have a vote.
Article 6 – Membership is forfeited
- By non-payment of annual subscription, by a decision of the General Assembly.
Before this action is taken, the N.F. Member must be invited by registered letter to provide the Executive Committee with an explanation, to request the subscription to be postponed or to propose a reduction in the subscription because its current financial situation.
If no reply is received or no agreement reached, the Executive Committee will propose to the General Assembly that the N.F. Member be struck off. In any case, a N.F. Member which has not paid its annual subscription may have its voting rights withdrawn by a decision of the Board of Directors.
- By written resignation sent to the I.C.E.M. three months before the General Assembly.
- By being struck off by the General Assembly on the proposal of the Executive Committee for substantial neglect of its statutory obligations or for an action prejudicial to the running of the I.C.E.M.
- By the demise of persons or of corporate bodies.
Article 7 – I.C.EM. Administration
The organs of the I.C.E.M. are:
- The General Assembly
- The General Assembly is held at least every other year, at the date and place determined by the Board of Directors.
. The General Assembly is held preferably in alternately with the International Rostrum of Electroacoustic Music.
. The ICEM Federation Festival can and has to take place every year
- The expenses of the General Assembly (the participants expenses are at their charge or their federation’s) are to be borne by the country which organises it, or, after a decision of the General Assembly, by the I.C.E.M.. The programme of each General Assembly is drawn up and approved by the Board of Directors. The members’ expenses are covered by the ICEM.
- In order to sit legally, the General Assembly must be composed of at least half of its voting members (including proxy votes).
It examines and approves the annual report of the I.C.E.M.’s activities, as well as the plan of work for the coming year.
It approves the financial accounts of the past financial year and the estimated budget of the coming year.
It gives final discharge to the Board of Directors.
It examines and takes decisions in all matters within its competence.
- The Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors runs the affairs of the I.C.E.M.
It composed of . the Legal Members
. one Delegate from each of the National Federation Members
- During the period between General Assemblies, the board of Directors gives the charge of the execution of the resolutions, decisions and recommendations of the General Assembly to its Executive Committee.
The board of Directors examines and approves the report of the activities presented by its Executive Committee.
- To do so, the Board of Directors elects among its members, and for 2 years, an Executive Committee composed of :
– one President
– one Secretary
– one Treasurer
– three ordinary members at least
- The members of the Board of Directors and of the Executive Committee are eligible for re-election at the end of their term of office.
- The Board of Directors meets at least every other year and the Executive Committee at least once a year.
- Proxy vote
- If a N.F. Member is unable to send any representative to the General Assembly and the meeting of the Board of Directors :
- The Committee of the N.F. is requested to communicate to the Executive Committee of the I.C.E.M. a report of its activities in the year preceding the General Assembly as well as proposals and prospects for its future activities.
– It is possible for the N.F. Member to vote by proxy, but only through :
. either the first Delegate of another N.F.
. or a member of the Committee
. or another Legal Member
- if a Legal Member cannot attend the General Assembly and the meting of the Board of Directors, he may vote by proxy, but only trough :
. the first Delegate of a N.F from his own country
. or one of the member of the Committee
- a first Delegate can only hold one proxy.
Article 8 – I.C.E.M. Ownership – Resources
- The resources of the I.C.E.M. for the exercise of its statutory activities are derived from :
- subscriptions from the N.F. Members, the amount of which will be determined by the General Assembly. The annual subscription must be paid every year, that is to say between 1st January and, at the latest, 31st Decembrer.
- Subventions and gifts from institutions, social organisations, private persons and patrons
- Revenues from the exercise of its activities
- Subventions from U.N.E.S.C.O.
- The Board of Directors is responsible for the property and the finances of the
I.C.E.M.. It presents the financial reports, the budget and the project for the following financial year to the General Assembly for is acceptance. The General Assembly then reports to the National Federations Members.
- A receipts-and-expenses book is kept up to date, as well as book-keeping for the other I.C.E.M. properties.
Article 9 – Final disposal
- The statues may only be modified by a vote of a two-third majority of the General Assembly.
- The dissolution of the I.C.E.M. may only be pronounced by a specially convened Assembly.
The General Assembly will nominate one or several auditors in charge of winding up the Association and will determine their powers to act.
It will donate the net assets to all declared Associations having a similar object or to public or private institutions.